The Kantor Centre of Excellence has won the Project of the Year, Refurbishment category of the Design in Mental Health Awards.
The awards are given to innovative and creative projects that:
- offer therapeutic environments that enhance recovery
- are visually interesting and offer good, flexible use of space
- demonstrate good integration into the surrounding context
- are energy efficient / use sustainable materials
- demonstrate excellent team work to explore different solutions to support the design process
The centre, which includes the Anna Freud Centre and Pears Family School is a 3,200m2 new build and refurbishment project located on a restricted site near London’s Kings Cross. It is the first centre of excellence for children and young people’s mental health in England and represents an exciting new era for the Anna Freud Centre charity, bringing together the best in research, policy and practice under one roof. At the heart of the Centre, the Pears Family School provides support for children aged 5-14, who have been excluded from mainstream school with serious and behavioural issues, and their families.